I have been sick since Wednesday, plagued by the most persistently annoying cold ever to blemish the face of this earth. I have a generous pile of used, snot-filled tissues littering the floor by my bedside, and that too, I am beginning to find annoying. I have slept most of the last four days. Only just today beginning to feel somewhat human. I am now eating a bowl of my patented “hot damn, that’s a chili!” chicken chili (delicious AND nutritious!) and comforting myself with ginger ale and yes, more cadbury eggs.
Rachel’s Hot Damn, That’s a Chili! Chicken Chili
- canola oil
- 1 round teaspoonful of minced garlic (about 3 or 4 cloves)
- 3-4 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 medium-large carrots, diced
- 2 small yellow onions, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 1 pound chicken breasts, finely chopped
- 2 cans beans, drained. I used black and pink for this pot.
- 2 cans or 1 large can diced tomatoes
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 can tomato paste
- 2/3 carton chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley or 1/2 cup fresh, minced
Spices to taste (measures given here are approximate):
- equal amounts of cumin and chili powder, around 1 tablespoon each
- paprika, around 1/2 tablespoons or less
- coriander, around 2 teaspoons or less
- cayenne powder, around 1 or 2 teaspoons.
Saute garlic and onion in oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat until onion is translucent. Toss in carrots, celery, peppers, and jalapenos. Cook until juices are released, about 5 minutes. Toss in chicken and cook until begins to brown, then add parsley and all spices. Cook until meat is mostly cooked through. Then add broth and remaining ingredients. Sir well and bring to a boil. Boil for one minute then put into 400*F oven for one hour. Enjoy with a side of your favorite carb or fruit salad. Or cadbury egg.