I love food and I love to eat food. There’s not a lot that I don’t like. I am usually willing to eat anything at least once.
But today’s Ten on Tuesday asks that we list ten foods we dont like. I had to do some thinking, but in a nutshell (ha! theres a pun there I’m sure!) these are the foods low on my appeitizing scale. In no particular order:
1. Horseradish and wasabi. This is a taste issue. I absolutely hate the favor of horseradish. Its bitter, spicy, and well, nasty.
2. Licorice. Like horseradish, a flavor issue. Just tastes wrong. Its the anise, i think.
3. Organs such as tongues and livers and hearts. Just basic ‘ick’ factor here.
4. Breakfast sausages. Another taste issue. Too greasy, too salty, and the spices are…I dunno what they use–anise?–a faint semblance to licorice turns me off.
5. Raw nuts and trail mixes. The texture and flavor of plain nuts registers as off to me. I prefer my nuts at a minimum and tossed with foods such as salads and stirfrys.
6. Shellfish. This stuff actually tastes alright, but I just can’t get past the texture and the fact these animals are basically bugs and spiders.
7. Rare steak. I dont want my steak bleeding at me accusingly. Plus the texture is too squelchy and not chewy enough. I want to tear my meat, not slog through it.
8. Moldy cheeses such as Bleu and Gorgonzola. Just way too salty and pungent. And plus, the mold!
9. McDonald’s hash brown patties (the potato is just the binder to hold the grease together).
10. Cottage cheese. Pure visual revulsion. It looks like bleached vomit.