For the first time in a very long time, I’ve had a very productive day, and I’m very happy with myself and the work I’ve done.
I started playing around with an old canvas, experimenting with newspaper and heavy gel medium. My goal with it is to “recreate” (loosely) a slab fossil of a prehistoric palm leaf I saw in the Smithsonian Natural History Museum in D.C. I worked on this at the same time I finished up my polar bear installment of my Encroachment series.
I think the Polar Bear finished: I need to let it sit for a day or two, then go back and look at it critically. But I’m very pleased with the final result–my skill at Adobe Photoshop is definitely improving (I’m teaching myself how to use it). After I finished the composition and filling in the lines, I created a rough color sketch with colored pencils, then scanned it into Photoshop.
I then filled in the background with a gradient fill, and created my text layers with scanned housing advertizments I clipped out from the Sunday papers. I used several texture and lighting filters to change the look of the words and blend them in. Here is the final result, pending self-critical approval in a couple days.
There is a juried competition in Torrington this month. I’ve decided to enter it, and this one into the show. And, if I can create another image for this series before the entry deadline (next Sunday!), I’ll have a pseudo-tryptch to deliver.
As this piece was printing, I finished up the illustration of my sister’s kitten, Doozer. I’m tired!